Adobe Camera Raw 8 Video Workshop – 25 New Tutorials on Adobe Camera Raw Image Processing and Workflow

Yellow House, Red Door

Photograph © George A. Jardine

Welcome to a new video series for artists, designers, and photographers – anyone who wishes to master Camera Raw image processing. This set of 25 all-new video tutorials contains over 4.5 hours of the most comprehensive training available on the Camera Raw 8 Photoshop Plug-In. In this series we cover the raw processing controls from top to bottom. Starting from the ground up, we guide any professional artist, designer or photographer through a complete understanding of each and every control. Then we dive deeper, digging into important details no other videos touch, such as the complex relationships between local and global adjustments, how Smart Objects work, as well as a deep dive on working with RGB files. So even if you are not a photographer, understanding the Camera Raw plug-in and knowing how to use it as a filter will make your image editing much more dynamic.

Watch this online series anytime, day or night, and you will find thousands of tips and techniques that help you master the processing of your digital photos. The complete online series is only $29.95.

Don’t take my word for it. Check out what customers from all over the world have said about the companion Lightroom series, by clicking here. If you’d like to read an impartial review on the tutorials in general, check out what the Imaging Resource Newsletter said, here.

The new video titles for this series are:

Tutorial
Presets & Snapshots10:48
Working With Multiple Images8:45
Working With Smart Objects    (Check out the free sample movie, here.)17:19
Working With RGB Images15:33
Camera Raw Preferences & Defaults9:51

Total4:51:12

The full set of chapter markers can be found here.

Online access to this entire series is only $29.95. Please read the instructions below, and then click the Buy Now button to purchase. (You can use credit cards on Paypal, too… having a Paypal account is NOT required.)

IMPORTANT! In order to receive your login instructions, you must find and click the “Return to Merchant” link on the Paypal confirmation page! If you somehow do not get to the confirmation page, e-mail me (georgej@gmail.com), and I’ll be happy to send you the link.

(Note that if you purchase using Paypal, you are not purchasing a DVD! This is online access + download links.)

An internet connection is required to download or view the tutorials. The online versions will probably not stream very well over a 3G or 4G mobile device connection. Download links for both desktop or iPad versions of the video files are included in your confirmation e-mail after purchase.

The Flash plug-in or an HTML5-compatible browser is required to view the online version of these tutorials on a desktop or laptop computer. The videos will probably play fine in your browser just as it is, but if you need a Flash plug-in update, you can download the latest version for free, here.

Finally, minimum screen resolution for viewing these tutorials is 1280 x 960 (unless you’re on an iPhone! :-).

Thanks! And enjoy the tutorials!

Juan A Jaramillo January 31, 2011 at 9:51 PM

George, question these tutorials are generic, meaning the applications are as good for Nikons or Cannons or Olympians or just about any branded camera. I own a Nikon D-90 was wondering how to learn about it in tutorials, any suggestions?
Thanks much ! George..

George January 31, 2011 at 10:13 PM

Yes, Juan. The Camera Raw controls are identical for all cameras. That’s part of the beauty of it…. learn it once, and you can apply it to any camera.

Bud Gibson February 12, 2011 at 8:33 PM

I’d really like to see a series on LR3 PS integration. Specifically, when to use PS in a way that adds value to LR3.

I currently don’t use PS very much. For the standard stuff I need to do as an enthusiast, LR3 has been enough. But, I’m starting to think there might be some things that would be fun to try.

Most photoshop books (e.g., the Scott Kelby series) spend a lot of time on bridge and camera raw, i.e., what’s already in LR3. I know you pretty much send people to other resources for PS, but the sort of thing I’m proposing seems like it might be right down your alley. Any thoughts?

George February 12, 2011 at 8:44 PM

Well, Bud… you might be reading my mind. Just as soon as my ACR series is published (probably first week in March…) I’m planning to start a new LR series. I’ve got two topics top of mind….. that I have not yet quite decided on.

First, for sure, is a 5- or 6-movie “mini-series” on Lightroom / Photoshop integration, that will focus on understanding the benefits of Lightroom’s non-destructive workflow, Photoshop’s layers and “destructive” attributes, and building strategies for combining those two worlds for the best possible result.

Second, a lot of people have asked for a deeper dive on the “Working with Lightroom on location, and getting the most out of working with multiple catalogs”….. sort of theme. And so that’s a strong contender for a 5-movie mini-series too.

So… right now… it’s a toss up. :-) And… of course, I do appreciate the input.

Tim Smith February 25, 2011 at 9:06 PM

Hi George
Just rec’d the Lightroom 3 video and really looking forward to the tutorials.
I also have the Elements 9 application and was hoping that you might shed some light in using LR 3 with elements
at some point in time. I know you can pulled into too many directions.

Thks

Tim

Bob March 1, 2011 at 2:36 AM

George, I just got LR3 installed, but have yet to dive in (load/propagate).

I’m planning on getting the first two you have made, and also would like to complete set- any chance of a package deal-?

I’d second Tim’s comment above- I too have PS E9, and could also use some cross platform info- my vote.

Thanks, Bob

George Jardine March 1, 2011 at 3:03 AM

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your interest in the videos.

To your first question, sure. I’ll give you a package deal. In fact… I am planning to give anyone who has purchased the Develop series a special deal on the Camera Raw series. This is because the actual raw controls are identical. And so, a significant chunk of the tutorials is a “port”. And I don’t want anyone to feel ripped-off.

Having said that, I will say that the Camera Raw user interface, the workflow, and the preferences are entirely different. And so those things are throughly documented. On top of that, in the course of scripting the new Camera Raw series, I’ve added several new examples where I felt the Develop series could be expanded upon.

So… here’s my proposal. Purchase both the Library series, and the Develop series, and I’ll give you a free subscription to the Camera Raw series.

Fair enough?

Thanks again,

Paddy Carroll March 1, 2011 at 11:46 PM

Is that proposal for all of us who have purchased both the Library series, and the Develop series – you’ll give a free subscription to the Camera Raw series!!
Hope so.
Regards
Paddy
Ireland

George March 1, 2011 at 11:50 PM

Yes, Paddy. That’s the offer. :-) It’s the least I can do for my faithful customers. All folks have to do is ping me, and I’ll supply the login.

Thank you!

Massimiliano Oriani March 15, 2011 at 4:02 AM

Great news!!! I literally devoured the two LR series. With the first I changed my workflow: it became simpler, incredibly smooth; nothing remained obscure. With the second the developing process became straightforward.
No doubt… I must have this new series too…

John Finn March 21, 2011 at 11:16 PM

I signed up for the tutorials this evening and I have just finished numbers 1 to 7.

They are excellent. Video tutorials are much better than the written word when trying to come to grips with Camera Raw and these ones are in a totally different league to anything else I’ve seen on the web.

I have been using Camera Raw for some time but I was amazed to find out while watching the videos how little of its functionality I have actually been using. I blush when I think of my ham-fisted use of the sharpening and noise-reduction tools for example.

This is the best value for €25 (the price here in Europe) that I’ve come across and I would highly recommend it to anyone serious about their photography.

Thanks for an outstanding production.

Regards,

John
County Cork
Ireland

Shayne March 22, 2011 at 7:31 PM

Hi George,
I’m interested in buying but wanted to know if and or how these go beyond Luminous Landscapes Lr3 tutorials?

Thanks,
Shayne

George March 22, 2011 at 7:58 PM

Hi Shayne,

Good question, and thanks for your interest in the videos. I hope you’ll see that my tutorials go way beyond the other materials that are available. But it’s more than that. In every video, in every example, I show you—using visual examples—how the controls work. It’s not just words. And this is the difference. My videos are about photography. Not just the knobs and switches.

And I’m willing to make you this offer: purchase the videos, and if after viewing you don’t agree that I cover the subject like no one else, I’ll refund your $34.95.

Sound reasonable?
Thanks,

shayne March 22, 2011 at 9:30 PM

sounds good george. i’ll take you up on that:)

Walter Bellinger March 22, 2011 at 11:37 PM

So if I get this correctly… purchase of the Library Series and the Develop Series and I will get a free Subscription to the Camera Raw series?? If right how do I go about this please…
Wally b

George Jardine March 22, 2011 at 11:53 PM

Yes Wally. That’s right. Everyone who purchases both Lightroom series, gets a free subscription to the ACR series. Just surf to the Library tab, and the Develop tab, make the purchases using Paypal, and I’ll send you links to the ACR series.

Walter Bellinger March 23, 2011 at 12:06 AM

Thanks George ..will be ordering right away

Ken Buck March 24, 2011 at 4:24 PM

I’ve just finished watching these ACR videos having previously enjoyed and benefitted from the two Lightroom video series. I would recommend George’s videos to anyone. Clear, precise points with examples put over in a very relaxed easy-to-listen-to style. Great stuff.

Craig Rolston April 7, 2011 at 8:14 PM

Thanks George for the ACR toots. They are just as informative as the Lightroom 3 series…densely packed. I’m always finding things I previously missed or didn’t incorporate/associate which makes me want to explore further. Your videos are so much more empowering than dissociated tips and tricks. I appreciate their impersonal point of view… real time, active screen shots only…no distractions. Sign me up for your proposed series integrating PS with Lightroom 3. I _do_ trust you…
couldn’t help myself.

Francis Doherty April 8, 2011 at 9:01 PM

George: I have purchased both the Library series, and the Develop series. You have said that you would supply the login for your Camera Raw Plug-in to faithful customers. I enjoy your video’s and look forward to receiving the login.
Francis Doherty

George April 8, 2011 at 9:51 PM

Yes! That’s the deal. Your complimentary login has been sent to your e-mail.

Hope you enjoy the new tutorials!

Michael April 10, 2011 at 6:53 PM

George,
Just finished watching your new free B&W video tutorial. Thoroughly enjoyed it!

Apologize if you have already answered this question… what version of ACR does your video workshop cover? 6.3? As part of PS CS5?

thanks!
Michael

George April 10, 2011 at 6:56 PM

Hi Michael,

Glad you liked the tutorial! And thanks for your interest in the videos.

Yes… the ACR series was recorded using ACR 6.3, in PS CS5.
G.

Di April 28, 2011 at 11:40 AM

Have purchased both Library & Develop tutorials & would love to have access to the Camera Raw Series.
Also I have an Apple TV & reckon having offline access to the former two would be great!
Can’t believe how my understanding of Lightroom & ability to use it have improved after using your tutorials. Absolutely delighted & will be keeping an eye open for any future gems in the pipeline!

George April 28, 2011 at 1:35 PM

Hi Di,

Glad you’re enjoying the tutorials! I’ve sent you your complimentary ACR login, and links to the downloads.

Have fun!

bkimball May 2, 2011 at 11:22 AM

Hi George, I’m very excited to see you are planning a Photoshop & Lightroom integration tutorial. One of the most frustrating things about learning Photoshop is the smattering of short “tricks and tips” videos out there that never seem to coalesce into a cohesive and comprehensive overview. And these trick videos never really include the theory and understanding behind the technique. I look forward to seeing your approach to introducing Photoshop to us Lightroom users. Thanks!

Judy Hill Lovins May 3, 2011 at 4:41 PM

Extremely valuable tutorial on B&W using Lightroom. I’m tempting to join you in Denver June 4. Thank you!

George May 3, 2011 at 5:00 PM

Thanks, Judy. I’ll sweeten up the deal for you (and everyone…) by throwing in the tutorial video series of your choice if you attend. Hope to see you there!

Bob Fields May 5, 2011 at 11:37 AM

Enjoyed your B&W tutorial immensely. Very straightforward and logical. Suggestion: Lots of folks are always asking about how to configure a new Mac or PC for photography. Not an easy thing to address since some are shooting JPEG’s of their friends and others are doing medium-format landscape work. Nevertheless it would be helpful to give us your opinion on the matter especially as it relates to Lightroom and CS5 integration and performance. Thanks and best regards.

Adil Lotia May 13, 2011 at 10:30 PM

Hi George,

A wonderful tutorial! I learnt a lot from your detailed coverage of the topic. Given the quality of this tutorial, I am looking forward to purchasing your other tutorials.

BTW, because of the nature of Flash videos, I noticed that my laptop temperature was shooting up and consequently the fans were running at higher RPMs (creating extra noise.) Do you know whether the CPU overhead is less when viewed from the DVDs? Are the movies differently encoded by any chance?

Cheers,
-Adil

George May 14, 2011 at 12:29 AM

Hi Adil,

Thanks, and glad you’re enjoying the (not so cool-running) tutorials! :-)

If Flash is heating up your laptop, I’ll bet it’s because you’re running Firefox. The Flash plug-in consumes ~ 70% – 80% CPU when running on Mac, in Firefox. When running in Google Chrome, it runs ~ 40% – 50%, and in Safari, the plug-in generally runs < 25%. So it seems Safari is a clear winner here. The H.264 encoded versions on the DVD are identical to the files served through the Flash interface, but when running directly in the QT player on the Mac, the player only consumes about 10% of the CPU. So yes, I would say, running the videos directly in iTunes or in the QT player, will keep your laptop the coolest. And if you purchase, and wish to have QT downloads, without having to purchase the DVD, I'll be happy to provide you with those downloads. Just send me an e-mail request, and I'll hook you up. George

Lee May 14, 2011 at 8:34 AM

Hi George,
I found your site off an Adobe e-mail. You’re among the few Conscious-Competents (you can explain your competence) in the over-hyped field of Photoshop training. As soon as I viewed your sample ACR video, I registered for both the LR Library and Develop series. Thanks.

Brian May 16, 2011 at 3:06 PM

Hi George,
I won’t be able to upgrade from CS3 anytime soon if at all. Will I be able to utilize this series with CS3?

George May 16, 2011 at 4:36 PM

Hi Brian,

The versions of ACR that work with CS3 don’t have all the features of the ACR 6.3 version that I recorded these videos with. But probably 80% of the basics are there. The Detail controls have been significantly upgraded in ACR 6. Not to mention the all new Lens Correction and Effects tabs. Not sure what the state of localized corrections is in CS3.

Well worth the upgrade.

Paul Rezendes May 19, 2011 at 9:15 AM

Hi George,

A complement is due here. I have done a lot of tutorials, maybe that’s because I never feel like I know anything. I do the NAPP tutorials and have done tutorials offered by Luminous Landscape, Adobe, Linda.com and others.

I have to say that your tutorials are by far the clearest and most understandable. You have made tutorials into an art form. I can’t tell you how much I appreciate what you have put into them.

Question on xmp files. I convert my cr2s into dngs. The xmp files must be imbedded somehow in the dngs, because they don’t show up like they do with the cr2s. Can you enlighten me about the difference?

As a stock photographer I always make sure my white point doesn’t go over 250 or my black point doesn’t go under 10. I have heard some publishers complain to colleagues about the blacks being too black. My processing is always focussed on a press run of some kind. Is this just overkill on my part?

Thanks for the education,

Paul Rezendes

George May 19, 2011 at 10:04 AM

Hi Paul, and really glad you’re getting something out of the tutorials.

About your questions. First, yes… it’s true. When you create a DNG file, Lightroom and ACR embed all the XMP metadata into that new file, thus eliminating the need for the “sidecar”. In the end, it works just like a sidecar would in Lightroom, however. The settings in the LR catalog can easily become out of sync with the metadata stored in the file. Which is no big deal, it simply means you have to be the one keeping track of which is right. And the beauty of LR is… that if you screw up, you generally have one or the other to easily go back to, using the Save Metadata to File command… or the Read Metadata from File command.

ACR is just a little bit different, in that when you change settings on a DNG, those settings are then written into the file as soon as you either open it in PS, or click the Done button. There is a sort of phantom database there that can help you out sometimes, but in general, it’s not made use of as it is in LR.

As for your question on white and black points for publishing, I’m assuming when you mention the numbers 250 and 10, you’re talking about RGB values in an 8-bit space. And these numbers are definitely in the zone, for obtaining good results when converting to a CMYK SWOP space, for example. But every printing space is going to have a different GCR or UCR level, and every press will have its own unique dot-gain and TIC limit…. all of which are completely outside of the Lightroom domain. These essentially become prepress decisions probably best reserved for Photoshop. Because “blacks being too black” can happen way above 10, with too much ink coverage, or with too much dot gain – which will vary by press, by paper type, etc., etc.

So I guess the moral of the story is, a good press operator, should be able to give you a specific number for your black point and white point. For his/her individual press. And I would expect those numbers to vary somewhat, print house to print house.

Remember, there are no rules. Only… Rule #5. :-)

G.

Jana M. Suchy May 26, 2011 at 8:26 AM

Oh, Wise One,
You made my day with these tutorials–and certainly made my digital workflow and processing bloom–revealing secrets, explaining mysteries, heretofore unknown or even imagined.

I could watch you work on photos all day: the options you discuss and compare–and the levels you take them to. Before seeing you move sliders around I was way cautious dragging those things very far from home, then seeing you crank a value way up or way down gave “permission” to know it was O.K. to really go for it. “Do not be afraid.”

Please consider a workbook follow-up to the tutorials where you just keep talking us through photo adjustments. I’ve been around long enough to know that anyone’s ideas and opinions on photos are entirely subjective (like my image summarily dismissed by a photo instructor that a magazine editor later used as a handsome cover), so do not fear a presumption of impregnating “right” and “wrong” into our heads. Just show us possibilities to impart knowledge, confidence, and been-there-saw-that wisdom.

Seriously think about it! Bought both modules last week but my brain is full trying to absorb, retain, and practice Develop so have yet to dig into Library, although suspect such a workbook will be helpful there as well. And FYI, brilliant to offer free sample tutorials–overwhelmed by Lightroom uncertainty and angst, they showed up amongst Google clutter to bring calm and serenity. I knew it’d be stupid not to get the whole show.

Thanks for making my life–and images–so much easier and better.

Grasshopper Jana

George May 26, 2011 at 8:30 AM

Ah, grasshaaapa! You seem to have truly snatched the pebble from my hand!
I am honored.

Janelle Morte May 29, 2011 at 1:35 PM

This new Integration teaser is wonderful!
I can’t wait for the whole edition. I have every tutorial, and my understanding has increased so much! I can’t thank you enough. You should write a book too…
You are genius.

david June 1, 2011 at 9:15 AM

It was great dealing with George Jardine. He is a very courteous person. And his tutorial on Camera RAW photographs is probably the greatest thing around. I would heartily recommend anyone using Photoshop to obtain his tutorials on Camera RAW photographs. It explains very clearly, what and how, to do many things.

david June 1, 2011 at 10:30 AM

My comments are identical to what I had written previously for his Camera RAW tutorials. His presentation of material is so good/clear and easy to follow, I immediately ordered his tutorials on Adobe’s LightRoom 3, after purchasing and seeing the tutorials on Camera RAW photographs. I can only hope I am able to retain a small portion of his tutorials, as I am a Senior Citizen with some diminished memory cells. Again, I can whole heartedly recommend ALL George Jardine’s Tutorials (and that includes his, Adobe’s Photoshop Raw photographs tutorials, and also his Adobe’s Lightroom 3 tutorials.

Michael B June 7, 2011 at 7:43 AM

I just finished the Camera Raw videos and am left with my mouth hanging open.
In my mind, this is the premiere educational tool for anyone that either uses ACR or is thinking about it.
Both the depth of information provided, as well as the style in which it is presented, stands head and shoulders above so much of the “education” that is out there.
Beyond the specific topics, George’s photos are awe-inspiring by themselves.
My only complaint is that I now will be forced to go through all my old files and work on all my images that I thought had been done well in ACR. WRONG
George……thank you.

Errol Bennett June 9, 2011 at 7:48 PM

Hi George:
I have watched the sample videos for both the Lightroom Library and the Lightroom Develop, as well as Camera Raw. I was so impressed that I have purchased both tutorial sets.

Your teaching style is the best I have been exposed to, and I find the tutorials most useful. I was somewhat conflicted as to whether I should get the on-line versions or the DVD’s, as sometimes I would like to be able to view the videos in locations where I may not have access to the internet, (like on a long airline flight). I did notice that you indicated that flash version downloads may be available.
Could you send me the link for this option as well as the link to the Camera Raw videos so I can keep up to date?.
Thanks. You are the best.

George June 10, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Thanks, Errol. I do appreciate your comments very much.
Links are on the way!
Best,

Michael Cooke June 26, 2011 at 1:53 PM

Really liking the RAW series, question, on the presets do they build up on one another or if you try another does it cancel the settings of the first? i.e. do you hit cntl/z to cancel then apply the new? Thank you

George June 26, 2011 at 2:09 PM

Hi Michael,

Yes…. depending upon what is stored in a Preset, it can, and generally does “build on” what’s already there. And this is one of the reasons I rarely use them. Because the settings that they are adding can be hidden in a closed panel somewhere. And, because they can potentially encourage you to become lazy, and not develop your own techniques for hand-tuning each photo using your own settings… and your own sensibility. Practicing using your own two eyes and the controls, will always lead you to a better result than using someone else’s pre-cooked settings.

And yes… you can hit undo right after applying one (or go back in History…) to then safely try another one.

G.

charles June 29, 2011 at 10:56 AM

Hi George.
I’m sorry to react a little bit late, because i was enjoying your tutorials so much i forget to send you my comments about your tutorials.
thank you very much, great work.
regards, charles

Ray Hudson July 21, 2011 at 12:05 PM

George,
Thx for the link to the B&W tutorial – it was very helpful – it encouraged me that my approach so far was on the right track but also showed me how I should be using the tools to get the most out of them. I like the ‘dual’ approach, that is, on one hand you’re saying ‘Hey, push the sliders around and see what you like’, but on the other hand you’re saying, ‘Hey, as you push the sliders around notice this, and notice this, and pay attention to this’. So you show the intuitive approach, but also how to pay attention while you’re being intuitive. At least that’s what I hearing and appreciating. I’ll be purchasing the ACR tutorials soon and look forward to learning more.

Thanks again,

Ray Hudson

Comments on this entry are closed.

{ 2 trackbacks }